Age takes a toll on the lives of every human, especially women. As women reach the age of 40, the function of their reproductive system starts to decline. The reduction in the production of estrogen and progesterone becomes evident, which trigger the start of menopause. While this stage in a woman’s life is inevitable, its symptoms can be relieved with the help of medication like CBD oil.
What is Menopause?
Menopause is a natural event in women. It comes at a time when their menstrual cycle stops. During this period, not only does their capacity to reproduce stops, the production of their hormones, particularly estrogen become deficient. This condition causes a series of symptoms that can cause discomfort as they reach the ages of 40 to 60.
Nowadays, the age when women become menopause is 51. Some of them can experience this condition as early as 40 while some in their early 60s.
Menopause can be divided into three stages — perimenopause, menopause, and post-menopause.
- Perimenopause typically begins years before a woman reaches her final menstrual cycle. A reduction in estrogen production characterizes this stage. The perimenopause stage could last until her ovary stops producing eggs. Menopausal symptoms start to emerge during the last one to two years of this stage.
- Menopause is a phase that usually takes place a year after a woman had her last menstruation. The ovaries no longer produce eggs at this stage.
- Postmenopause – This stage make up are the years after menopause. While some of the symptoms wane, the health risks due to low production of estrogen start to rise as a woman enters her senior years. And since the typical life expectancy of women today is around 80 years, most of them can expect to live roughly 30 to 40 years in this phase. This means that the symptoms of menopause and the succeeding health risk can impact women decades after they had their menopause.
Typical Menopausal Symptoms
Most scientists only have theories about what the body undergoes during menopause that causes women to experience the following symptoms:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Vaginal dryness
- Mood changes
- Forgetfulness and memory loss
- Reduced sexual drive
- Joint aches and pains
Because of the lack of estrogen, the hormone that supports women’s growth, health problems start to crop up after menopause.
Women at this stage are at higher risk of having:
- Heart disease
- Poor functioning of bladder and bowel
- Reduced muscle strength and tone
- Increased likelihood of having Alzheimer’s disease
- Vision problems, such as the presence of cataracts and macular degeneration
- Increased wrinkling caused by reduced skin elasticity
As such, postmenopausal women need to take supplements like pure CBD hemp oil ways to treat their health condition.
CBD Oil for Menopause
If you’re at any stage of menopause, you can benefit from the healing powers of cannabidiol. This cannabis-derived substance has a unique role in providing relief to various symptoms of menopause. Here are some of the benefits of taking any CBD products in your menopausal years.
- Relieves joint aches – Cannabidiol has the property to reduce inflammation in the body that can worsen during menopause. Many laboratory studies and anecdotal evidence shows its power to combat the swelling of your joints. In clinical mice, the cannabinoid acts as an anti-arthritic medication that can protect the joints against damages when they have swollen. While taking CBD products, you should also undergo low-impact exercises and change your diet to help your body fight against inflammation.
- Delays the progress of osteoporosis – The anti-inflammatory features of CBD oil make it a favorite remedy not only for arthritic symptoms but also for bone diseases. There are many studies in rats showing the capacity of the substance to lower prevent the reduction in bone density. While evidence in human subjects concerning bone loss is still lacking, many patients report improvement in their bone health after taking CBD for some time.
- Relieves mood swings and depression – Fluctuation in the level of estrogen and progesterone explains mood swings during menopause. This condition also leads to anxiety and panic attacks during this life phase. Cannabidiol can inhibit anxiety and improve mood.
- Promotes quality sleep – Menopausal women often have insomnia, which is caused by other symptoms, including joint stiffness, migraines, and hot flashes. Lack of quality sleep, if not treated, can affect other areas of your life, such as aggravating the symptoms of menopause and mood swings. Many scientists were able to document CBD’s efficacy as a natural alternative to treat sleep problems. CBD has relaxing effects that can promote deeper, more restful sleep.
- Helps retain memory – CBD has a property that encourages neuroplasticity and neuroprotection, specifically in the hippocampus. This brain area is linked to memory, emotion, and learning.
Endocannabinoid system and CBD Oil
CBD’s power to influence the endocannabinoid system (ECS) explains its potency in providing relief to menopausal women.
The ECS is a collection of receptors, called cannabinoid receptors, which are distributed in the brain, organs, and other tissues all over the body. It works by communicating with chemical messengers such as CBD.
Menopause appears to disrupt the endocannabinoid system. The ECS plays a role in regulating all pathways of hormones and neurotransmitters in the body. As there are cannabinoid receptors located throughout the female reproductive system, there is a significant possibility that CBD oil could help reduce some of the symptoms related to menopause. This is because CBD may replace estrogen as a substance that can help regulate the activity of the endocannabinoid system.
The benefits of CBD oil to menopausal women should come as great news to women around the world. Taking this substance can mitigate the impact of the lack of estrogen that causes the menopause-related symptoms and health risk during the postmenopausal period. But see to it to seek advice from your doctor to get the best dosage for your condition.