Whether you are an athlete, a regular gym-goer or a martial arts practitioner, persistent training is needed to build strong muscles and boost endurance. Certain routines are performed regularly to improve stamina, strengthen the muscles and improve concentration. However, one important aspect is needed to ensure that muscles are in good condition and that is recovery.
Every athlete and sports enthusiast knows the importance of recovery to prevent injury and DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. DOMS can be intense and can last for a few days or even weeks if muscles are completely overworked.
To ease these sore muscles, ice baths, straight-up rest and compression taping are needed. Although these techniques have been used by athletes for a long time, there is a much better alternative: CBD.
Understanding Why Your Muscles Are Sore
Exerting effort in the gym and intense physical training can damage muscles, leading to DOMS. The soreness comes from the micro tears in the muscles caused by heavy weights, pressure and the number of repetitions directed at a targeted area. The body then adapts by increasing the size and strength of the muscle over time. Although the body heals itself, the inflammation of the muscles can be detrimental to any training regime and the pain can affect an individual’s physical movements and activities.
Conventional Muscle Recovery Techniques
To counter the soreness of the muscles, most athletes engage in several conventional recovery techniques. Aside from ice baths, massages are common as well as regular visits to a physical therapy center. Licensed therapists perform treatments and mobilization to regain the strength and mobility of the muscles to improve the athlete’s overall performance.
These frequent visits to a physical therapy center aren’t cheap, so what most people do is simply rest, engage in warm-ups once in a while and let their bodies heal naturally. This takes time, depending on the intensity of the muscle damage.
The Rise of CBD as a Muscle Recovery Agent
As of January 2018, the World Anti-Doping Agency or WADA announced that cannabidiol (CBD) is no longer considered a banned substance. This means that athletes can freely use CBD products to ease pain and inflammation of the muscles.
WADA maintains a list of approved and banned substances for a variety of sports organizations around the world. With WADA’s announcement that CBD is a non-toxic and non-addictive substance, athletes rejoice for a better muscle-healing alternative.
To shed some light on the benefits that come with CBD, it’s important to know that this compound found in marijuana is not responsible for the ‘high’ feeling or psychoactive effect of the plant. In fact, the marijuana plant has another active compound called Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, which causes this ‘high’ feeling associated with marijuana.
With much research and many studies conducted by experts, CBD has been found to possess a myriad of therapeutic benefits, and it helps combat inflammation, and muscle and joint pain. It is a harmless compound that helps athletes recover faster from DOMS, fatigue and other minor injuries.
Other benefits of CBD include:
- Relieves anxiety and depression
- Stress reliever
- Anti-seizure properties
- Promotes better sleep
- Natural pain and symptoms relief
- Anti-tumor effects
- Lowers Risk of Diabetes and Heart Disease
Breakdown of CBD Benefits for Athletic Recovery
Athletes can fully recover with the use of cannabidiol. Here’s a breakdown of the role CBD can play for athletic recovery:
- Reduction of Muscle Spasm- There are a lot of reasons why spasms occur, but the most common are trauma, damaged nerves and spinal cord, straining of muscles and dehydration. CBD has antispasmodic properties which relieve and reduce muscle spasms.
- Pain relief- Cannabis is an analgesic, which helps alleviate pain for pre and post workout or exercise. Athletes can use CBD products to manage pain and injuries.
- Better sleep and relaxation- Sleep is integral to the recovery of muscles and cell repair. CBD is known to regulate the sleep cycle which, in turn, promotes overall wellness through quality rest, minus the drowsiness.
- Relieves nausea- The intensity of workouts of athletes can sometimes cause nausea due to the blood flow being drawn away from the stomach. CBD is known to have anti-emetic properties, which reduces nausea before and after exercise.
- Increase of appetite- Taking in a high number of calories is essential for energy and overall performance. With the consumption of CBD, appetite is stimulated in a healthy way.
- Anti-Inflammatory- Swelling of the body parts, especially the arms and legs, caused by injuries, can be detrimental to the performance of an athlete. CBD can help relieve inflammation and manage pain for faster recovery.
CBD Products to Use For Muscle Recovery
The most common cannabidiol product on the market today is CBD Hemp Oil. It is made by extracting the oil from the whole plant to separate CBD from THC. This oil can be rubbed directly onto the body or consumed. It is perfectly safe and can give immediate relief to chronic pain experienced by athletes.
Some manufacturers are becoming creative with CBD. There are edibles being sold, with different flavors and added ingredients, skin and topical products plus supplements. Taken in moderation, CBD is seen to stimulate the body and support metabolic function.
Vaping CBD Oil is another method to encourage peak performance, combat joint and muscle pain, relieve stress, sleep apnea and inflammation. Inhaling the substance is easy on the lungs and produces a vapor that’s cooler and non-toxic. In short, it won’t affect the function and capacity of the lungs. This method is preferred as CBD is delivered to the system quickly.
The Future of CBD in Sports
Cannabidiol is seen to be progressive, with countless research and studies being conducted by experts. It will continue to be a great alternative for athletes suffering from different conditions. With its proven benefits, more and more individuals can experience faster relief from common symptoms like muscle spasms, headaches, pain and more.
Enhance athletic performance with the use of CBD products! It’s safe, non-toxic and easy on the body systems, promoting overall health and wellness.